Elements that make up a dwelling: the floor
The choice of flooring in a home plays a crucial role in terms of both functionality and aesthetics. We are going to name some of the most common types of flooring used in our homes and their main characteristics:
1. Parquet or Floating Flooring: a. It brings warmth and elegance. It is easy to clean and maintain. The floating floor is a type of parquet that is not fixed directly to the floor, but is installed on a base layer.
2. Ceramic or Porcelain Tile: a. Durable and water resistant, ideal for kitchens and bathrooms. Variety of designs and finishes. Easy to clean.
3. Laminate: a. Economical and easy to install. Mimics the appearance of wood or other materials. Requires less maintenance than natural wood.
4. Vinyl: a. Versatile and water-resistant. Can mimic wood, stone or tile. Relatively easy to install and has recently become fashionable due to the wide variety of designs available.
5. Marble or Granite: a. Provides a luxurious and durable look. Ideal for high traffic areas. However, it may require more specialised maintenance.
6. Polished Concrete: a. Modern and minimalist. Widely used by architects around the world, who are now also applying it to walls and ceilings. Easy to maintain and clean. Suitable for radiant heating.
7. Carpet: a. Provides comfort and acoustic insulation. Variety of textures and colours. However, may require more cleaning and may be less suitable for areas prone to moisture, as well as homes with pets or allergy sufferers.
8. Hydraulic Flooring: a. Ornamental and decorative patterns. Often used in vintage or rustic style spaces.
9. Terracotta Tiles: a. Rustic and natural look. Good conductor of heat, suitable for underfloor heating systems.
10. Ecological Flooring (Bamboo, Cork): a. Sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative. Bamboo is durable and cork provides a floor that is soft and pleasant to the touch.
Underfloor heating is an integrated underfloor heating system, which can be used with various types of flooring. The choice of flooring type will depend on factors such as budget, style of decoration, required durability and the specific conditions of each living area. Considering the function of the space and the maintenance to be carried out by the future inhabitants of the house, we will select for the design of our flats, villas and bungalows the most suitable type of flooring.